Start Date January 19, 2018
End Date December 24, 2020
Latest UpdateApril 1, 2019
In response to a Congressional mandate, an ad hoc committee will conduct a study of the economic and non-economic benefits of the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs at the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). Drawing on published research plus existing data, the committee will examine:
– A range of economic impacts including, to the extent practicable, the number of jobs created by these programs;
– The role of SBIR/STTR programs in stimulating technological innovation and contributing to DOE?s research and development needs;
– Collaborations created between small businesses and research institutions on account of the programs;
– The effectiveness of DOE?s SBIR/STTR award selection process and commercialization assistance; and
– Ways to improve outreach efforts to SBIR and STTR applicants, particularly to increase applications from small businesses that are (1) new to the programs, (2) from under-represented states, (3) woman-owned, or (4) minority-owned.
The committee will produce a consensus report with findings and recommendations.